Swimming is one of the best types of exercise for men, women, and children, offering benefits for both mental and physical health. Swimming is a low impact, highly aerobic form of exercise, and burns lots of calories. It also increases your heart rate, tones your muscles, and helps you manage your weight. Below we have listed 11 reasons why you need a swimming pool.
- Swimming is a whole-body workout. While you swim, you are working every major muscle group in your body, including your arms, torso, legs, and stomach.
- Swimming increases your heart rate. Your heart rate will increase to healthy levels without added stress to your body while in the pool.
- Swimming makes you stronger. Spending time in the pool enhances your overall fitness, while improving your body strength.
- Swimming helps manage your weight. You’ll burn lots of calories in the pool, which will help keep your weight under control or assist in weight loss. Swimming will burn between 413 and 931 calories per hour, depending on your current weight, and your workout intensity. These calorie counts are comparable to more intense and impactful exercises like running or cycling.
- Swimming is safer than other forms of exercise. A serious advantage for swimmers is that they suffer an injury during exercise at a lot lower rate than runners or cyclists. One easy way to prove this is with a study that compared injuries incurred during the running, cycling, and swimming parts of a triathlon. Injuries during running were 50 percent, 43 percent during cycling, and just 7 percent as a result of swimming.
- Swimming tones your muscles. Especially when it comes to your upper body and your legs, not much beats swimming for a lean and toned look.
- Swimming is great exercise at any age. From young children to senior citizens, swimming is a great way to stay in shape regardless of your age and beginning fitness level. You can swim at a pace that is comfortable for you until your fitness level allows you to advance.
- Swimming builds cardiovascular strength. Cardiovascular, or cardio, exercise, involves your heart, lungs, and circulatory system and is key to overall health. In fact, research shows that regular swimmer’s mortality rate is half that of people who are inactive. Plus, a 2016 study indicated lower blood pressure and blood sugar were the results of regular swimming.
- Swimming can be a lifesaving skill. Aside from the mental and physical benefits of swimming, it can also be a truly life-saving ability to have when needed.
- Swimming is a great rehab activity for people with injuries. For those people with knee or other joint issues, like arthritis, swimming can be great as a rehabilitation exercise. Water supports your muscles gently while allowing you to work them harder than if on land.
- It’s just fun! Swimming is more social and more fun than jogging, biking, or weight lifting, but gives you just as good a workout. Plus, pool parties are the best parties in Texas!
If you are looking for a high-quality custom swimming pool that is durable and adds value to your property, choose Varsity Swimming Pools. Varsity will create the backyard oasis that suits your home and your lifestyle. Call us today at 210-559-9553 so we can show you why Varsity Pools is the premier pool company of San Antonio and South Texas.